Following the "Green School Year" environmental project, on October 13, 2019, the fundraising event, "VAS GREEN DAY RUN", will be officially launched at Sala Mega Campus in District 2. This is the first running competition that Vietnam Australia International School (VAS) has organized with the purpose of raising funds to plant mangrove forest in Can Gio district, Ho Chi Minh City.
In addition to creating a sports playground for the VAS community, each runner who participates in the event will contribute one tree to the forest and hopefully, there will be a forest with at least 2,000 trees in Can Gio grown by VAS to provide more clean air to Ho Chi Minh City through this project.
To accomplish this goal, we really need the cooperation and support of all teachers and staff across all campuses. In addition to registering for the competition, please provide guidance and encourage students, parents, family and friends to join this meaningful event.
The event will be held at Sala Mega Campus and Sala Urban Area, District 2 with two short running events, suitable for all ages (from Kindergarten) and for the whole family:
- Time: 6:30 - 9:00, Sunday, October 13, 2019
- Location: Sala Mega Campus, 10 Mai Chi Tho, District 2, TP. HCM
- Running distances: 1.7 km and 3.7 km
- Register as an Individual or Group with a minimum of three members
- Other participants: VND 350,000 per person (including one T-shirt, one drawstring backpack and one stainless steel water bottle)
- Registration deadline: September 18 – October 8, 2019. Please note that the registration may expire before the deadline if the number of participants is full.
- For more information about the event and online registration, please visit greeneration.vas.edu.vn/register
In addition to individual and group awards for excellent achievements in the competition, the campus with the most participants will also be honored to represent VAS to go on a trip to Can Gio to plant trees by the end of this year.
Currently, the forest area of Vietnam is decreasing rapidly day by day, and we only have 40% of forest cover and to just 10% of what is was originally. This not only affects the natural ecosystem but also is the main cause of climate change, floods, flash floods, and landslides. Meanwhile, a 30-meter tall and mature tree can absorb about 22.7 kg of CO2 in a year, which is close to the average emissions of a car used at 41.5 km. These trees can produce 2,721 kg of oxygen in a year, which are needed to support the living needs of at least two persons.
Can Gio Mangrove Biosphere Reserve is about 50 km away from Ho Chi Minh City. With the cooperation of the VAS community, we hope that Can Gio mangrove forest will be supplemented with a number of new trees and sustainably developed as a green lung of Ho Chi Minh City.