VASers continue their green living journey with the 3Rs environmental project – School year 2020-202118/11/2020
The school year 2019-2020 marked the first year that VAS officially implemented the 3Rs environmental project with positive effects and participation of the majority of students at all grade levels and across campuses. This year, along with the goal of "Sustainable Development" and continuing the achievements that the VAS Community gained in the last "Green School Year", the 3Rs project will continue to be held and become an annual activity at VAS in the coming years.
Participating in the project, VAS students, who consider themselves as global citizens, will continue to show their interest and responsibility for the environment, and conduct innovative solutions to reduce waste and head to a sustainable development on Earth.
This year’s programme will be implemeted as follows:
Students from grades 1 to 12 of Vietnam Australia International School.
The programme will be implemented and supervised by each Campus.
REUSE PHASE (04.01.2021 – 15.01.2021) - Books Collecting Challenge
- Classes in the same grade levels will compete with each other
- Students in all classes collect books from the last school year/ semester 1 to donate to an organization.
- Each grade will have 01 winning class with the greatest number of collected books.
RECYCLE Phase (Spring Fair 2021) - Recycled Crafts Contest
- Students form their own groups and come up with the ideas of recycling used products, executing and displaying them in Spring Fair 2020.
- Each group registers with a minimum of 3 members and a maximum of 8 members; students can be grouped across grade levels.
- The duration of the competition is about 1 - 2 hours, depending on the duration of the Spring Fair at each campus.
- Groups are encouraged to use recycled materials which can be collected from schools, their houses and surrounding environment instead of buying new materials.
Campus representatives will select 3 winning groups based on a scale of 10. The scale consists:
- Taking advantage of used materials: 4 points.
(The more used items collected as materials, the higher the score will be. New materials will not be counted, except for supporting materials such as glue, staples, etc.)
- Creativity and usefulness of recycled products: 3 points.
- Nicely designed and presented: 3 points.
REDUCE PHASE (01.03.2021 – 26.03.2021) - Less Plastic Waste Challenge
- Classes in the same grade levels will compete with each other.
- To take part in the challenge, students in all classes need to minimize their daily plastic waste.
- On the same day, campus representatives will randomly select 01 grade (all classes of that grade) to check and weigh the amount of plastic waste consumed in a day.
- Different grades will be randomly check on different days.
- Each grade will have 01 winning class with the least amount of plastic waste.
Reduce & Reuse phase: there is 01 winning class for each grade. The winning classes will be honored as the Green Class at Weekly Assembly and Closing Ceremony 2020-2021.
Recycle Phase: Each campus will select 03 winning groups.
- Participating groups and 03 winning groups will be honored at Weekly Assembly.
- 03 winning groups will be also honored at the Closing Ceremony 2020 – 2021.